Coronavirus: latest news
Mechelen follows federal government regulations to contain the spread of the Corona virus.
On Friday March 13th until at least Sunday May 17th, monuments, museums, attractions, cafés and restaurants will be closed and all public events postponed or cancelled in a bid to combat the spread of the Corona virus COVID-19.
- The Tourist Information Office and UiT in Mechelen will open again on 18/05. We always stay contactable by telephone and email and on social media.
- Museums and attractions will close until at least 17/05. As of 18/05, musea and cultural attractions (historical buildings and monuments) can open their doors again. Provided they set up an online or telephone ticketing system and take the necessary safety measures. For specific information about a particular location, please refer to the relevant organization.
- Cafés and restaurants will be closed until at least 8/06, with the exception of certain takeaway restaurants.
- All shops will open their doors from 11/05 with security measures.
- Events have been cancelled until at least 8/06. For specific information about a particular event, please refer to the relevant organization.
- Hotels close their doors until further notice; hotel restaurants will also close.
- With the exception of St Rumbold’s Cathedral, the Basilica of Our Lady of Hanswijk and the Church of Our Lady of Leliëndaal, the historical churches will close.
- City parks and gardens will remain open.